1 pound dried pasta (linguine is good)
1/2 pound bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
10 oz fresh mushrooms
1 bag of braising or asian mix
2 tbsp. tomato paste.
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced.
1/4 cup chicken stock (homemade is best)
1 good pinch Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well but do not rinse.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium low heat until it is cooked through, but not crispy. Remove from grease and place on paper towels to drain. Reserve 4 tablespoons of bacon fat.
3. Add olive oil to skillet and stir to combine with bacon fat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Add onion and garlic, stirring until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add tomato paste and stir through. Return bacon to pan and toss well. Add greens and stir until wilted. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, chicken stock, salt and pepper.
4. Add pasta and toss to coat well. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over pasta and toss well.
5. Serve hot with additional Parmesan on top if desired.
*Adapted from http://cbsop.com/recipes/penne-with-bacon-and-mustard-greens/